The use of proxy services has been rising in popularity in various computer networks around the world. Be it in business or personal computer use, proxies will definitely serve the purpose. The internet is probably the best place where you can get to learn about proxies and more so avail some of the services that are offered by proxy servers. A proxy server is basically a server which acts as an intermediary for the requests that are coming from clients who are looking for some resources from other servers. The proxy service checks the legitimacy of the requests and protects the data about the sending terminal so that another party is not able to get the identity details of the people who are issuing these requests.
Basically, when you are browsing the internet, you would be using a client application which in this case is the browser. When you request for a file, a web page, connection or any other web resource, you would have to send your request to the server by clicking on various buttons. Before these requests can get to the server, they would have to go through the proxy server. The proxy service then evaluates the request made with an aim of simplifying and controlling their complexity. This service also ensures that the data you are sending through the network is not accessed by another party. This is because it discourages file logging and thus no one can ever have a trace of whether you visited some sites at some point. Most of the proxies that you would find in networks today are basically web proxies. Their main aim is to simply and facilitate your access to the internet.
Uses of a Proxy Service
– A proxy service helps to keep all the machines behind it anonymous and thus assures you of security and privacy when you are browsing the web.
– They also help to speed up your access to web resource through the use of caches.
– You can also use proxies to save on bandwidth since they prevent the tendency of downloading the same files over and over again.
– You can still use a proxy service for purposes of logging and auditing internet usage within your business.
– It also scans the data that you are sending through the network for purposes of preventing interference by malware and spyware.
– It can also scan the outbound content for purposes of data loss prevention.
Types of Proxy Services
When you are using proxies, you can choose to place them in a user’s computer or in various points between the client and the destination servers. Here are the three major types of proxies;
– Tunneling or gateway proxies are the kind of proxy servers which pass requests and responses between the client and the server in an unmodified state.
– Forward proxies are those types of proxies that are referred to as internet facing. They are used for the retrieval of data from a number of sources and especially across different sites on the internet.
– Reverse proxies are internet facing proxies used in the front end for purposes of protecting and controlling access to a server on a private network.
If you are looking for a free proxy service, make sure you check out the HideMyAss Proxy service.